Gauteng mourns another marker who succumbed to Covid-19

National News

19 January 2021

Staff Reporter/ PretoriaLIVE

PRETORIA – The Gauteng Education MEC, Mr Panyaza Lesufi, has paid tribute to markers at the province’s 30 marking centres for the commitment and sacrifice they have shown in ensuring that marking continues as per schedule.

Lesufi said the education officials had displayed courage in the midst of the ongoing Coronavirus pandemic.

The MEC made the statement as Gauteng recorded the unfortunate passing on of a marker.

“Accordingly, the 55 year-old IsiXhosa marker tested Covid 19 positive and unfortunately died on Sunday, 17 January 2021 at home.”

“This is the second marker who has passed on while on marking matric examination duty.” Lesufi said.

“We would like to send our heartfelt condolences to the family, friends and colleagues of the marker, our prayers are with them.” Lesufi said.

Our psycho-social team was dispatched to support the family and all affected by this sad loss.

Lesufi said, ” The said marker was from the same marking centre – Jeppe High – which experienced the first loss of a marker last week.”

“She was part of the group who were released on 14 January 2021 from marking following the news of the colleague who had collapsed at her accommodation. We call on everyone to remain vigilant and practice all the measures to reduce infections. If you don’t have to go somewhere, please stay at home and help save lives. Our teachers and officials remain at the frontline in the battle against this pandemic and we appreciate their commitment.” MEC Lesufi said.

PretoriaLIVE

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *