11 December 2020
Staff Reporter/ PretoriaLIVE
Johannesburg- African National Congress (ANC) welcomes the outcome of the municipal by-elections held on 9 December 2020, with the ANC securing an overwhelming win of 71% of the 24 wards contested, ANC National Spokesperson Pule Mabe.
“The ANC is humbled by this great show of confidence by the voters in our movement and doesn’t take this for granted”.
“These outcomes are also a positive building block towards a decisive victory in the upcoming local government elections in 2021 as well as an an important tool in measuring the resonance of our message with the electorate and our commitment in accelerating service delivery and improving the lives of our people”.
Mabe added that the ANC conducted a people-led and centred approach on candidate selection and campaign that was consistent with ANC’s renewal process. This ensured humility, process integrity and a people-centred campaign.
The ANC retained 12 wards nationally, won 2 wards from the DA in Oudtshoorn in the Western Cape, lost 1 ward in Overstrand in the Western Cape and won 3 wards from Better Residents Association in Mpumalanga.
ANC’s performance, broken down per province, is as follows:
- In the Eastern Cape, the ANC retained its 2 seats.
- In Free State, the ANC retained its 2 seats.
- In Gauteng, the ANC retained its 1 seat.
- In Limpopo, the ANC retained all its 2 seats.
- In Mpumalanga, the ANC retained its 2 and won 3 new seats from the Better Residents Association.
- In North-West, the ANC retained its 1 seat.
- In the Northern Cape, the ANC retained its 2 seats.
- In the Western Cape, the ANC won 2 seats from the Democratic Alliance, lost 1 seat to the Land Party.
“We remain steadfast in our commitment to growing South Africa together and making a better life for all a lived reality”.
“We continue to demonstrate this commitment in our actions ranging from tackling corruption to accelerated delivery of social and economic infrastructure,” said Mabe.
Mabe added that the ANC thanks all South Africans who came out to cast their votes and further demonstrate the resilience of our democracy. Our heartfelt gratitude goes to the hundreds of volunteers who reached out to the voters across the country and ensured that the ANC remains the people’s choice.