SAPS establishes base camps in Tshwane to counter festive season crime
30 November 2020
PRETORIA – As part of 2020 safer festive season operations and ensuring that all road users are kept safe, the South African Police Service (SAPS) in Tshwane has established two base camps along N4 highway and N1 freeway.
“The safer festive season operations are set to be intensified around the whole of Tshwane with a number of lined up activities targeting lawlessness in public spaces and roads that directly or indirectly have an influence on the safety and security of law abiding citizens,” said SAPS spokesperson in Tshwane, Captain Mathews Nkoadi.
“Joint forces of the security cluster are geared up to uphold and enforce the law, to protect and serve, to prevent, combat, investigate all forms of crime which often create a feeling of timid and insecurity as well as compromise the safety and security all the vulnerable groups in our society.”
The SAPS in Tshwane also shared road safety suggestions including the following:
- Obey the rules of the road and carry your driver’s licence with you.
- Plan the route to your holiday destination and give yourself enough time to reach the destination.
- Use a GPS navigation tool or a road atlas to plan your trip in advance.
- For peace of mind, try to stick to major routes or toll roads. If you are going to travel on the back roads, identify the towns along the route and what the distance is between them.
- Do not get stranded without fuel. Always plan ahead where you will refuel.
- Plan rest stops along the way and if you are travelling with kids it is a great way to let them know when and where you will be stopping.
- Always ensure that a friend or family member, who is not travelling with you, is aware of the route that you are planning to travel. Ideally, you should also update them on your progress of the journey and let them know when you have reached your destination safely.
- Try to avoid driving after dark if possible.
- Expect others not to be as obedient as you would be.
- If you can avoid a road rage situation, please stay away from it.
Nkoadi said the safer festive season operations will continue to be conducted under the theme “Tight Grip” as pronounced by the Minister of Police, General Bheki Cele.