South Africa condemns acts of terrorism in Jeddah, Saudi Arabia

Africa News

29 November 2020

Staff Reporter/PretoriaLIVE

PRETORIA – The South African government on Sunday said it has noted with deep concern the latest attack in Saudi Arabia which targeted a petroleum facility in Jeddah last week.

“In her response, the Minister of International Relations and Cooperation Dr Naledi Pandor expressed her concerns about the escalation of violence in the region during the past week. She added that this was the second terrorist attack in Jeddah during November 2020,” said department of international relations spokesperson Clayson Monyela.

“South Africa maintains that terrorism in all its forms cannot be condoned and therefore strongly supports all efforts by the international community to combat terrorism within the framework of the United Nations.”

The Pretoria authorities added that such incidents are an affront to the prosperity of the region, and only seek to destabilize and dismantle the positive developments that have been made in the United Nations mediation and peace initiative.

“She [Naledi Pandor] added that the Republic of South Africa has noted the restraint demonstrated by the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia by not retaliating, and instead of using the avenues available in the international system to address its concerns. The Minister stated that a peace process led by the region is the only solution to lasting peace,” said Monyela.

Saudi Aramco officials said Monday’s attack knocked out a tank that contained 10 percent of all fuel stored at the Jeddah plant, Saudi Aramco official says.

PretoriaLIVE

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *