Bushiri: “I cannot have a fair trial in South Africa!”

Africa National News

18 November 2020

Staff Reporter/PretoriaLIVE

LILONGWE – Shepherd Bushiri expressed distrust in the justice system of South Africa in response to the briefing by Home Affairs Minister Aaron Motsoaledi on Tuesday.

Bushiri said, “This internal process is already prejudged by the Minister before I submit my representations on why our permits should not be revoked because we did nothing wrong.”

The Minister also indicated that he was disappointed when our rights were protected by the court Bushiri added.

Motsoaledi, addressed the Portfolio Committee in Parliament and gave a detailed outline of the visa and work permit processes. The Minister also said the Bushiri’s had acquired their permanent residence permits fraudulently.

“The Minister further went on to state that our Permanent Residence permits are irregular and therefore our stay in South Africa is unlawful because my wife and I misrepresented facts to induce his department to issue the permits and his department issued incorrect permits to us due to their oversight,” said Bushiri.

The couple said that the five different passports they each hold, including a diplomatic passport were carrying various international visas while some were full and they were handed in to authorities in South Africa.

“Because we are frequent travelers due to the work of our ministry, the other passports are full, however, they have international visas and hence we kept them. There is nothing sinister about that. Even the Immigration Department in Malawi has attested to that.”

Bushiri insists that he went to Malawi not for political intervention but to seek justice before the Constitution of the Republic of Malawi.

“Because of that, I will be presenting myself before law enforcement agencies this morning to legally explain and defend the decisions that I made to come to Malawi.”

In a Newzroom Afrika live feed Malawian authorities confirmed that Bushiri had handed himself in and was in custody.

However, a second warrant of arrest for the Bushiris had been issued by the HAWKS.

They were due to report in court in January 2021.

Colonel Katlego Mogale acting HAWKS spokesperson said, “During today’s court proceedings, the matter was postponed to 7 December for the formal withdrawal of bail and forfeiture of the bail deposit.”

South Africa has initiated legal proceedings to secure the extradition of the couple.

PretoriaLIVE