21 September 2020
MIDRAND – Health Minister Zweli Mkhize on Monday urged South Africans to continue to ensure that all precautionary measures are taken to avoid a resurgence of coronavirus infections in the country.
Mkhize’s remarks came as South Africa on Monday began a relaxed level one of the Covid-19 lockdown which was announced by President Cyril Ramaphosa last week.
“The lockdown was implemented to flatten the curve and give government time to prepare for impacts of coronavirus infections.
“South Africa has entered alert level one of the lockdown today and more economic activities will be resuming. South Africa has recorded over 660 000 coronavirus cases of which 590 000 have recovered,” said Mkhize.
“Over 15 000 people have died from Covid19-related illnesses.”
The minister warned against complacency in ongoing fight against Covid-19.
“We are on our way towards normality, except the normality is going to be very different now because we won’t be able to move from our day-to-day lives,” he said.
The national health department has emphasized on the use of face masks, sanitizing and social distancing.
“We haven’t gone out of the problem yet. We still have the virus amongst us and the real question is for us to always be alert and not see a resurgence like we have in other countries,” he said.